Beatrice Levy (1872-1974) etching Aldine Square (alternate title is Delivery in Old Town) 1938 ed. 9/50 6.5 x 10″ – includes her Chicago Street Address on bottom margin – unframed pencil signed and dated price on request
Beatrice Levy St. Francis – colored aquatint print 12/25 – dated 1923, pencil signed lr. 12 & 5/8″ x 16″ sight. This print was featured in the American Institute of Graphic Arts Fifty Prints of the year, Second Annual Exhibition 1926-7. Chicago Institute of Art – 1926. price on request
Lake at Night – 1915 colored aquatint 7&7/8″ x 7 14/15 pencil signed sold
Provincetown/Cape Cod 1916, colored aquatint, titled at page bottom 15/20 pencil signed price on request
Juggler 1953 litho and relief print Pencil signed lower right , titled at bottom 14 & 3/8″ x 10 & 3/8″ price on request
Precarious balance #4 1959 monoprint pencil signed lower right 10 x 19″ sight price on request
Capricious form 1957 relief print, 5/15 pencil signed, 12 x 16″ sight p.o.r. exb. Long Beach Museum of Art, 1957 sold
Four Freedoms – woodcut on vellum 1947 7 x 5″ Permanent collection National Museum of American History price on request
Juggler variation, unsigned. 1953 14 & 3/8″ x 10 & 3/8″ sold
“I Will Lift Mine Eyes to the Hills,” 1924, color etching and aquatint on paper, 16″ x 10.75″ unsigned sold
Song of Summer 1914 edition 25, color etching, 14 x 10″, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Chicago Society of Etchers, Library of Congress 1936, Honorable mention Pan Pacific International Exposition (San Francisco) 1915 sold
Nevada Mountain Town color aquatint, 8 x 9&7/8″ pencil signed, ed. 21/40, 1948 Created for Chicago Society of Artists. Pennell Exhibition of Prints, 1949, Carnegie Institute Exhibition – 1949 sold
Beatrice Levy scrapbooks are at the Archives of American Art of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC. Following is the biography of the artist, which accompanies the online Smithsonian record.
Beatrice Levy was an etcher, engraver, block printer, drawing specialist, and teacher. She studied at the Art Institute of Chicago under Ralph Clarkson and with Charles W. Hawthorne in Provincetown, Massachusetts. She had a studio in Chicago’s 57th Street Art Colony.
Her work was exhibited at the Panama-Pacific International Exhibition (1915), the Century of Progress in Chicago (1933-1934), and the New York’s World’s Fair (1939).
Levy was President of the Chicago Society of Artists, Supervisor of the Works Progress Administration Art Project Gallery, and Supervisor of the Easel Painting Division in 1936 for the Federal Art Project. In 1950 she moved to California, where she taught at the La Jolla Museum School of Arts and Crafts (1961-1962) and continued to exhibit her work.